Howe to miss first Newcastle match after positive Covid-19 test – Sporting Life
Eddie Howe will miss his first match is charge of Newcastle after he tested positive for Covid-19.
The former Bournemouth manager took over during the international break, and had been due to lead his side out at St James’ Park against Brentford on Saturday.
However, he will absent from the stadium this weekend, and assistant managers Jason Tindall and Graeme Jones will take charge instead.
“I’m very disappointed that I won’t be there with you all at St. James’ Park tomorrow, but it is incredibly important that I follow the guidelines and self-isolate,” Howe said.
“I’d like to reassure everyone that I feel fine, and while this is unwelcome news for me, I know it hasn’t derailed our preparations for what is an important game.
“I have been, and will be, in constant communication with my coaching team and the players, both tomorrow and during the week, and I know they will be giving everything on and off the pitch.”
Newcastle are currently 19th in the table, and are yet to win a Premier League match this season. Only Norwich have conceded more goals than them so far.
Speaking before his positive Covid-19 test, Howe revealed how he hopes his previous managerial experience will help him at his new club.
Read Also: WCQ: Uruguay sack coach Tabarez after 15-year run
“At Bournemouth, every year we were in a relegation battle,” Howe said. “For the first four years, we achieved our objective and stayed in the Premier League.
“My first year at Bournemouth was also a relegation battle, so I’ve been in the position many, many times. It’s not nice, it’s not enjoyable to be fighting relegation.
‘”It’s not where I want to be, but it is the situation we find ourselves in and drawing on past experience is going to be helpful.”
Source: Football News – Sporting Life
#Howe #Newcastle #match #positive #Covid19 #test #Sporting #Life
Post views in last 5 minutes: 0 views