Why FIFA has banned former Nigeria U-23 star for four years

Why FIFA has banned former Nigeria U-23 star for four years

A statement by the NFF’s Director of Communications confirmed the extension of a ban to a former U-17 international and Bologna forward

FIFA has banned former Montreal Impact forward, Orji Okonkwo for four years after failing doping tests.

Why has FIFA banned Okonkwo?

In February, NADO charged Okonkwo of using Clostebol, a steroid substance banned on the World Anti-Doping Code list.

Clostebol is a non-specified substance in the “S1.1 Anabolic Androgenic Steroids” category of the World Anti-Doping Code International Standard Prohibited List 2021)

Okonkwo, who is expected to appeal his case, said he took the substance when he had a knee injury while playing for Citadella on loan from Bologna in the Serie B.

Ademola Olajire, the federation’s Director of Communications released a Press Statement on Saturday confirming FIFA’s decision.

Okonkwo is said to have been found culpable of violating doping limits by the Italian National Anti-Doping Tribunal.

“Chairperson of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee, Jorge Ivan Palacio affirmed that the player had been cited properly, he has had the opportunity to state his case.

“The decision has been communicated properly, the decision complies with the regulations of FIFA and extending the sanctions does not conflict with public order or with accepted standards of behaviour.

“Consequently, the Committee decided to extend the sanction imposed on the player by the Italian NADO on 20 June 2022.

“More specifically, the player is sanctioned with a four-year suspension from all football-related activities in accordance with the Decision,” it said.

The ban is expected to run between the 25th of February 2022 and the 24th of February, 2026.

Okonkwo was a member of Emmanuel Amuneke’s 2015 U-17 team and was also in the 2019 U-23 team that failed to qualify for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

He last played football in February 2022 in the Serie B and has been out of the game since he was first sanctioned.

 

Source: Soccernet.ng

#FIFA #banned #Nigeria #U23 #star #years

Post views in last 5 minutes: 0 views

DOWNLOAD CORRECTSCORE MOBILE APP (APK)


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply